Monday 23 November 2009

one man's trash is another's treasure

the smallest things that give you the longest lasting pleasures in life tend to always be those long lost things.
my memory's failing me day by day.
in fact, it's deteriorating as i type.
hence, the need to keep lost of random sh*t around the house.

when i was re-organising things, i dug out those old xmas cards from ages ago from my school friends.
they're so ugly that i actually shivered when i saw them, and then i just kept laughing at how ugly things were from ages ago.
but the words are so warm, loving and even sometimes, apologetic that they made me all teary.
i'm not sure if my friends are still the same today.

after all, i have been exiled to a desert island and they were always busy when i was on vacation to visit them.
we didn't spend much time seeing each other and getting to know better of each other since.
but i guess it's what is rooted from almost a decade ago in all of us that matters.
it's the kind of friendship that you'll never be able to find once again after you graduate and enter the workforce.

it was so pure, delicate, caring, loving, fun and simple.
it's like you owned something once for a very short while, but it just seems to have lasted for a life time.
when i closed those cards, i carefully placed them all back in their envelopes.
then filed them aphabetically, hoping that one day, when i accidentally read them again, i shall be shedding tears of joy.


p.s. sorry but due to technical difficulties, i won't be able to use the comment function. but you're more than welcome to leave yours. thank you. :)

3 comments:

laichungleung said...

I will take the "you" here meaning "me." You are very welcome.

Memory is a wonderful thing. With time as filtration, most memories acquire a nostalgic sheen as pleasant as they are unreliable.

By the way, my trash is trash and my treasure is also trash. It's just not fair.

cz said...

I was teary too while reading some letters from high school friends, some even from primary school.
I once wondered what I did to deserve so much love and friendship like that.
They are more intelligent, kinder, and funnier than me.

....The conlusion in the end is they must got hit by a stone or two in the head.


Friendship is indeed a life time treasure.

cz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.